When it comes to creating outreach materials it is so easy to become overwhelmed by the pressure of meeting and exceeding goals that one can forget about the receiver of the solicitation. Here are a few donor focused tips to ponder as you take a swim in the ocean this summer:
1. Ask yourself, if this was sent to me how would I respond?
2. Get into their heads, their hearts, and what makes their world spin (Yes, you have to do homework on this one).
3. Make sure you’re offering a solution to the problem as the donor understands it, not as you do.
4. Make sure this applies to all of your outreach, not just the written word.
5. Now, go for a swim, climb a mountain, read a good book, or just unplug at least once this summer. You need to re-energize your batteries too.
Written by Tracy Karbus Fundraising Consultant with Elite Auctions & Fundraising Services